Morning Adventures: The Egg Hunt



People often ask me what it's like raising 4 girls so close in age, especially working full time. I always mention a lot of emotions, a lot of fun memories, and a little bit of crazy. A few months ago, on a particularly hectic Thursday, I decided to chronologize a few of the events, to give you a glimpse into my life:  

Wednesday
11:50pm - Finally decide to call it quits on turning 300 chopsticks into wands in time for the Harry Potter-themed dance on Friday at my kids' school.

Thursday
6:50am - Hit snooze again on my alarm and realize I have lost any potential morning time sans kids by choosing to decorate said chopsticks until midnight.

6:57 - Roll out of bed to wake up the kids. On the way to their room, note that my oldest, Linsey, is sitting in a yoga pose on the bathroom counter, doing her makeup.

6:58 - Turn on shower to get warm because It. Takes. Forever.

7:01 -  Weigh myself and vow to do better than the takeout I had yesterday.

7:02 - Check on kids once more and hop in the shower.

7:12 - Get out of the shower and make each kid answer me when I ask if they're up. Note that Linsey is still doing yoga makeup on the bathroom counter.

7:20 - Frantically try to cram my new prosthetics into different pairs of shoes, realizing the only pair they actually fit in are my ballet flats. Really?

7:22 - Braid Amaya and Natalie's hair.

7:25 - Remember to give Hannah allergy medicine before her outdoor field trip.

7:30 - Take Amaya to school early. Natalie, who currently sleeps in her school clothes, is also ready, so she tags along.

7:36 -  Ponder Natalie's thoughtful question, "Mama, how come I feel all alone?" As I launch into my comforting speech, she interrupts, "No - Mom... Mom! I don't feel lonely. We have a house full of people. I said, 'How can I grow my nails out long?'"

7:37 - Switch to speech about eating healthy, keeping nails clean and filed, etc.

7:42 - Return home. Make a smoothie and grab a boiled egg for breakfast, proud that I'm doing better than yesterday. Set egg on top of leftover chicken soup I'm taking for lunch.

7:52 - Load the rest of the kids into car for school. Carefully set soup and egg in the middle console.

7:53 - Run back in to write check for lawn guy.

7:54 - Mutter to self while driving to school.

7:56 - Walk kids into school loaded with decorations for the dance, while Linsey pretends she doesn't know me and walks behind us.

7:58 - Drop off decorations. Head to teacher's lounge for butcher paper to make a whomping willow later. Oh the joy.

8:12 - Set out on 15-minute drive to work, savoring the quiet.

8:14 - Reach for boiled egg and notice it is no longer on top of my soup. Begin gently patting around the car for egg while keeping my eyes on the road. Because, of course.

8:20 - Intensify search for missing egg as I realize the importance of finding said egg in warm weather. Plus, I have to have protein at breakfast or it throws off my blood sugar.

8:23 - Text Linsey to see if she took my egg. (She didn't.)

8:25 - Still driving carefully, begin picking up everything around me to see if the egg rolled under something. (It didn't.)

8:26 - Give up on finding the egg and pull into a drive-thru for breakfast sandwich. Vow to do better tomorrow. Except that it was a BOGO sandwich, so I bought two. Maybe the next day...

8:35 - Pull into work, quickly put on mascara and make one more attempt to find the egg. (I didn't.)

8:45 - Grab a cup of coffee and acknowledge the fact that I'm still a little hungry.

8:50 - Realize I'm not working tomorrow, so I won't need that extra breakfast sandwich...

8:51 - Eat sandwich.

~WORK~

4:45pm - Pick up Linsey from school activity.

4:50 - Linsey finds egg while opening passenger door.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat. :)





Comments

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!

Popular posts from this blog

My First Giveaway!! Digital Scrapbooking Software

Letter of the Week - P

Memorial Day Memo