Recipe Time - Mexican Lasagna


Linkin' up with my friend Jocelyn for a "Tempt Us Tuesday" recipe swap.  Only I'm trying not to bake so many sweets because I find that's how I wind up eating them - does anyone else have that problem?  ...so here's a great main dish that always seems to go over well.

We have people over, like, all the time.  At least several times a week I find myself staring at my recipe books, thinking, "What did I make last time this family came for dinner?"  Or worse..."Does everyone in town talk about the fact that I almost always make lasagna the first time we have someone over?"  Silly, and vain, I know, but that's how my mind works.  I even used to have a book listing what I made whenever we had people over, but then I lost the book...anyhow, this yummy Mexican Lasagna is a nice change, and not quite so rich as its Italian counterpart: 

Mexican Lasagna

10-12 tortillas

1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
1 1/2 t. cumin
1 T. chili powder
1/4 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. red pepper
1 t. salt
1 t. black pepper
1 can (16 oz) chopped tomatoes
1 c. small curd cottage cheese
1 c. grated Monterey Jack cheese w/peppers
1 egg

Brown ground beef, drain thoroughly.  Add all spices and tomatoes, heat through.  Cover bottom and sides of a 13x9 casserole dish with tortillas.  Pour beef mixture over tortillas.  Place another layer of tortillas over meat mixture and set aside.  Combine cottage cheese, Jack cheese, and egg; pour over tortillas.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.


After removing from oven, top with the following ingredients, according to your taste:

2 c. shredded lettuce
1/2 c. grated Cheddar cheese
1/2 c. chopped tomatoes
3 green onions, chopped
1/4 c. sliced black olives

I like to serve it up with beans and rice (original, I know).  Enjoy!!

Comments

  1. This sounds good. I will definitely have to try this. Thanks for linking up for my recipe hop:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this recipe! I love anything mexican!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!

Popular posts from this blog

My First Giveaway!! Digital Scrapbooking Software

Letter of the Week - P

Memorial Day Memo