Wanna Getaway

That's the name for Southwest's lowfare tickets. And it's appealing - who doesn't need a break from the busyness of life? There are non-negotiables, like work and school. And the great things, like family activities and church. But too much of anything, even something good, is still too much. And many times, our marriages get put on the back burner because those seemingly urgent matters crowd it out.

The good news - you don't have to have loads of time (or money!) to make your marriage a priority, just a little creativity. Here are a few habits we've developed over the years that may be a good place to start:
 
1. Stolen Moments
Tom and I rarely pass each other without touching. A friend came over the other day and was amazed that in a short conversation, he had called me 5 different pet names! We flirt while we do the dishes, and we kiss whenever we leave. We set the kids' bedtime and stick to it, ensuring we have a couple hours of (almost) alone time to play a game or watch TV while we sit close. (Isn't that what dating was like?) We don't drink, but we always have a bottle of sparkling cider ready, just for us. If your kids are older and stay up late, go in your room and shut the door. Trust me, they won't follow you! Oh, and go to bed together. It's so worth it! 


2. Date Night
We shoot for one of these every few weeks, just a time we can get away for without the kids and reconnect, to remember why we liked each other in the first place. It can be an hour, or an afternoon, but make sure you do this frequently. Our oldest wanted to go with us last week, and complained, "But you've had LOTS of dates with Daddy!" I simply replied, "Yes, and that is for YOUR own good!"  A great marriage = happy, secure kiddos.

3. The Great Escape
After waiting several years for my husband to whisk me away from the mounds of laundry and dishes, I realized it wasn't going to happen. I could either pout and nag (big incentive for him!), or I could take matters into my own hands. So once or twice a year, I plan an overnight getaway, just the two of us.  I've gotten deals on groupon.com or just booked a decent hotel w/breakfast, you'll find the location doesn't matter nearly as much as the company :)

So if you're overcommitted and under-communicating, pick one of these ideas and get to work! You -and your husband, and your kids- will be glad you did.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My First Giveaway!! Digital Scrapbooking Software

Letter of the Week - P

Memorial Day Memo